10 Best Puppy Toys 2017
Puppies, like Humans love to play and be entertained. And, because there’s no Facebook for dogs (yet!) it’s up to us dog lovers to make sure our pooches are kept busy. Choosing the right toys can be hard, every puppy is different and your puppy’s size, breed, personality and age will all influence the toys they will like. This list will serve as a guide to help you find the best puppy toys for your pooch, keeping them (and your expensive furniture) happy and safe.
Things to Consider
- Age and Size. Toys for puppies can be split up into different age suitability. Toys that are too small for your puppy may pose as a choking hazard. Similarly, toys that are too big will be difficult for them to play with so think carefully when selecting your toy size.
- How Many Players. Of course, it’d be great if you didn’t have to work and could stay at home and play with your puppy all day. Unfortunately though, most of us don’t have that luxury, so when choosing the best puppy toys for your four legged friend, have a think about whether you’ll be around to play with them or if you want something they can play with by themselves.
- Available Space. Is your puppy an inside or an outside pup? Do you have to use a lot of space to set up and/ or play with this toy effectively? It’s not much use having an awesome racquet and ball set if you can only play with it inside your studio apartment.
- Material and Variety. Choosing the right material for your puppy toys is extremely important. Look for good quality, durable materials such as rubber or things with reinforced stitching and stay away from anything too hard or brittle which can do serious damage to your puppy if parts break off or are ingested. Since puppies get bored easily, look for toys with lots of variety, different “levels” for their games and toys with different material textures which will keep them entertained for hours.
Top 10 Best Toys for Puppies Table
|1. ChuckIt! Medium Ultra Balls 2.5-Inch, 2-Pack||Ball toy||$$||4.8|
|2. Outward Hound 31011 Hide-A-Squirrel Squeak Toy||Squeaky toy||$$||4.4|
|3. KONG Puppy Kong Toy||Chewy/ Edible toy||$$||4.2|
|4. Dogit Knotted Rope Bone Toy||Tug toy||$$||4.2|
|5. OurPets Smarter Toys Interactive IQ Treat Ball Dog Toy||Edible toy||$$$||4.1|
|6. Nylabone Just For Puppies Ring Bone Puppy Dog Teething Chew Toy||Chewy toy||$||4.1|
|7. Chuckit! Indoor Ball||Ball toy||$$||4.1|
|8. Zanies Crazy Eight Rope Pet Toy, Purple||Tug toy||$$||4.1|
|9. KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose, Medium Dog Toy, Brown||Squeaky toy||$||4.0|
|10. KONG Air Dog Squeakair Birthday Balls Dog Toy||Squeaky toy||$||4.0|
Types of Puppy Toys
- Edible Toys. Who doesn’t love a treat every now and again? Edible toys are a great “sometimes” toy for your puppy, but don’t rely on these too often or they’ll get an upset tummy.
- Ball / Squeaky Toys. You may not see it, but your puppy is actually a lean mean killing machine. Due to their natural instincts, puppies will view their toys as “prey” so anything that makes a noise and can be chewed and easily manipulated will be a winner with your pup.
- Chewy Toys. Chewy toys are essential if your puppy is teething to give them some relief from their sore and irritable gums. Look for durable and flexible materials and stay away from anything hard or brittle. Toys with varying textures and materials are also preferable so your pup can experience the different sensations on their teeth. You can also freeze the toys to provide extra comfort for your pup’s sore gums.
- Tug Toys. Some puppies absolutely love tug toys, and if so, it’s a great way for you and your puppy to spend quality time together. However, you kinda need to be around to play so if you’re not able to be around home too much, opt for something your puppy can do solo.
Top 3 Best Puppy Toys Reviews
ChuckIt! Ultra Balls have long been a cult favourite with owners of energetic dogs. These balls are super bouncy, super buoyant, and extremely durable. They are made from natural high bounce rubber and come in a variety of sizes.
Because they are made from rubber and not fuzzy material (like tennis balls) you won’t have to worry about any shredding of material. It also means that they are extremely easy to clean as grass and dirt does not stick easily to the balls.
These balls are extremely bright and easy to see even in the dark, and work equally well on land as well as in water.
The only slight downside is that you need a big space to really get the biggest benefits of this super bouncy ball.
If your puppy is bouncing with energy and you are looking for a super durable and safe ball to give them a “run” for their money (and survive countless chewing attacks) ChuckIt! Ultra Balls are the perfect solution.
If you’re looking for the perfect toy to entertain your (relatively) small young puppy time after time, look no further. The Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel is an adorable toy which comes in a variety of puppy friendly sizes with 3 squirrels which you must hide in the trunk for your puppy to find.
This toy is one set which comes with trunk and squirrels so provides excellent value for money (you can also buy replacement squirrels). Each squirrel has a squeaker inside to provide more stimulation for your puppy.
Puppies get endless entertainment chewing and tossing the puppies around, even after the squirrels have been found (so it’s really like 4 toys in one!) To extend play value even more, you can hide other treats and toys in the trunk as well.
Made of soft and durable plush material which is gentle on your puppy’s teeth, it will keep your puppy coming back for more again and again.
Note of caution: These toys have proven to be very durable but if you see the squirrels looking a little worse for wear, it’s a good idea to order replacements and not let your puppy play with broken squirrels to prevent ingestion of the squeaker.
Kong has become a household name for many a dog lover with their indestructible rubber toys which keep pooches of all ages busy for hours as they try and lick or chew their food out of the small opening in their toy.
This small sized puppy toy is great for stimulating puppies mentally and physically as well as ensuring they eat their food at an appropriate pace preventing a sore tummy! You can also freeze the Kong so the cool rubber with give your pup comfort if they are teething.
Your pup will have fun chewing on their Kong even long after all the food has been licked out, and the bouncy rubber nature of Kongs means you can use them for impromptu games of fetch! Kong also sells vitamin enriched paste you can put inside the opening, other suggestions include dry food, peanut butter or cream cheese. You can take your pic and keep your puppy entertained for hours!